Thursday, April 22, 2010

Back to Greek, Greek Style

Cantina do Gaucho is about half a block away from my door (the only restaurant within comfortable walking distance, actually; the drawback to living on top of a mountain with sick views is a lack of proximate grocery stores and restaurants) and ridiculously cheap. Like, one dish equals three or four meals all for the equivalent of $5 cheap. It used to be run illegally in this guy's garage until everyone in the community (cops included) frequented it often enough for its owner to earn a license.

The best part about Gaucho's -- apart from the ridiculously inexpensive food -- is the menu's English translation. I have no idea who was assigned the task, but it's clear that it's a human because Googletranslate can't even account for some of these errors. I've scanned it and circled my favorites with Microsoft Paint (you might have to open it in a new tab). Some highlights: the "meat with rice crazy, crazy rice" and the plate that promises two cars along with some 'crackling' and 'bens with flour.' Also if you feel like eating Italian bread crump (___ legs, clown arms -- I can't remember anymore, help me out Erose!), you have several options.

3 comments:

  1. Love it!!! I do miss the crazy crazy rice. Oh, Gauchos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. AWESOME. I'd like two cars, please.

    Reminds me: I went to a Mexican restaurant in Tokyo once, and the menu said "What's Mexico?" and then gave a long description of Mexico.

    lulz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    My name s Erin. Thinking about relocating to SA. Anything and everything you can tell me would be great. I am pretty interested in housing, where do you live? Could I buy a nice 3 bedroom in a good neighborhood? How much would it cost? What are the best/worst things about being there?

    Thank you so much,
    Erin
    fern916@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete