Saturday, December 19, 2009

Just a lil' early-morning jaunt

Can I tell you about the walk home I just had?

I finish at the bar at 4am, then the staff stays to have a drink so I usually don't leave until about 4:30/4:45. Common sense would say that four in the morning is a time when one should take the bus, but common sense hasn't met Argentina. I actually passed probably 200 people on my 15-block walk home tonight. Cafes are open, guys are selling the newspaper and flowers, and people are just straight chilling with desserts or coffees in the middle of the night (not even wasted). Plus, a million taxis/busses are passing all the time. And the number of other women and couples I pass prevents me from freaking when I come head to head with a somewhat creepy guy. (Though I do have my pepper spray handy when I walk. Have no confidence that I would hit my attacker and not myself in case of an emergency, but it's good to have.) It's strange to think that I feel safer walking half a mile home here than I would in Northfield or Milaca.

In other news, this job is turning me nocturnal on the weekends. I go to bed at 5 or 6 am, wake up at 1 or 2, eat "lunch" at 4 or 5, and "dinner" for free at the restaurant at midnight or a little after that. Que extrano, viviendo en Buenos Aiiiires.

No comments:

Post a Comment