Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Regarding Ice Cream

(Or, The First of Many Food Posts)
Um can we talk about what I ate for breakfast this morning? All this! for 10 pesos (about $2.75) at the sunny little cafe on the corner. Suck it, Starbucks.

Also, I live across the street from an heladeria (ice cream store) called Modena - may it be noted that in Argentina they have by far the most delicious ice cream I've ever eaten. No but REALLY. And so many flavors! About 12 chocolate variations, about 12 dulce de leche variations (con bombom/con brownie/tentacion [just more caramel]), marscapone, tiramisu, tramontana, crema de flan, crema de almendras, fruits, and probably 20 other names I cannot pronounce. Servings come in 7 peso two-scoops to 40 peso kilos. I'm slowly making my way through the menu (they allow trying before buying, but I haven't run across a flavor that didn't elicit an instinctual verbal reaction of pleasure), working hard not to buy helado every day.

I'm pretty sure the 20-odd Americans living in the RoadHouse (we take the "2" out in colloquial speech, thank God) keep Modena in business. At any given time, the living room has three or four empty Modena cups. Tonight was game night, and our "gambling" consisted of throwing in a peso for the spoons winner to buy a 7-peso Modena. Luckily, Candida (the epitome of joyful/loveable California girl) won, and Adrian (the ice cream server, we're on a first-name basis) gave her a half-kilo to share -- it's now the Copa Mundial and sitting on our mantel for the weekly gamewinner to refill with his/her chosen flavor.

Aaaaaaaaaand there's a three-paragraph post about ice cream. So you can be assured I haven't changed.

1 comment: